Anesthesiologists are MDs (Doctors of Medicine) whose job is focused on caring for patients about to undergo surgery. This care is primarily in terms of providing relief from pain. To elaborate further, an anesthesiologist determines the exact pattern and quantity of anesthesia that needs to be administered in a given case, and they communicate the same to the concerned physicians/surgeons. Monitoring the vital functions such as blood pressure, heart rate and breathing, etc, also come under the purview of their duties. The basic prerequisite for becoming an anesthesiologist is that the aspirant must be willing to learn continuously, not to mention the fact that they need to be excellent in academic pursuits. It is being projected that employment opportunities for anesthesiologists would display a rapid growth over the next few years.
This write-up attempts to briefly focus on some of the important resources that are available for candidates intending to make it big in the avenue of anesthesiology.
Academic requirements- An overview
It is more or less imperative that students aspiring to become successful anesthesiologists focus on subjects like algebra, chemistry, biology, physiology and anatomy, etc, at the high school level itself. Successful completion of a four-year premedical course, from a university or college having accreditation is a must, for getting recognized as an anesthesiologist. Subsequent to that, students need to clear the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test), and it is only then that they can join a school of medicine. After graduating from this school, the ensuing four years are devoted to anesthesiology residency. After this training, certificates are granted by either the American Board of Anesthesiology or American Society of Anesthesiologists.
Top anesthesiology schools
The table present below has the basic details of the top anesthesiology schools of the United States.
|1||University of California||San Francisco, California|
|2||University of Washington||Seattle, Washington|
|3||John Hopkins University||Baltimore, Maryland|
|4||Medical College of Wisconsin||Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
|5||University of Texas Health Science Center||San Antonio, Texas|
|6||Oregon Health & Science University||Portland, Oregon|
|7||University of Chicago||Chicago, Illinois|
|8||University of Alabama Medical Center||Tuscaloosa, Alabama|
|9||Stanford University Medical Center||Stanford, California|
|10||Duke University||Durham, North Carolina|
|11||University of Michigan||Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|12||University of Virginia Health System||Charlottesville, Virginia|
|13||Weill Cornell Medical College||New York, New York|
|14||University of Florida Medical Center||Gainesville, Florida|
|15||University of Rochester Medical Center||Rochester, New York|
|16||Baylor College of Medicine||Houston, Texas|
|17||Emory University||Atlanta, Georgia|
|18||Mount Sinai School of Medicine||New York, New York|
|19||University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center||Cincinnati, Ohio|
|20||University of Colorado||Aurora, Colorado|
All the above are just few of the several academic institutions offering courses related to anesthesiology. The online location http://www.anesthesiologyschools.com/top_school_rankings/index.html includes complete information of all the schools (of anesthesiology).
Some good websites
This section of the write-up would succinctly elaborate on some good websites pertaining to the realm of anesthesiology, in the US.
1) The journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists: The online location http://journals.lww.com/anesthesiology/pages/default.aspx has the journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists. Here, one has the facility of subscribing for these journals, and after that, they have constant access to the journals. The fact that these journals include latest news and information related to the sphere (anesthesiology) warrants no special mention.
2) Location of GasWork.com: For well over the past fifteen years, this Internet-based location of GasWork.com has been an excellent source for all those seeking jobs in anesthesiology. In fact, at this site, one can also view all the jobs for various states. Regularly following the contents of this portal is almost a sure shot way of ending up with the right job. The ensuing is the link that needs to be accessed: http://www.gaswork.com/section/Anesthesiologist.
3) Portal of American Society of Anesthesiologists: For aspirants seeking career-related guidance, with regard to anesthesiology, there are few options better than visiting this portal. After accessing this site, one can fully rest assured of receiving the right guidance. Also, this place of the Worldwide Web includes details about Webinars, events, etc, of the realm of anesthesiology. The link that needs to be accessed is http://www.asahq.org/For-the-Public-and-Media/About-Profession/Types-of-Careers-in-Anesthesiology.aspx.
4) Howtobecomeananesthesiologist.com: This one is another excellent portal, when it is the question of gaining information related to the all-important question “How to become an anesthesiologist?” The site has been designed in a very careful way making sure that there are no ambiguous details. These are some of the aspects that are encompassed by the site: nature of work of an anesthesiologist, job outlook and growth prospects, to name a few. Whatever might be the pattern of information sought, one would surely not be disappointed on visiting this portal.
5) ANEScareer.com: Accessing this site signifies as being a good choice for both employers and also job-seekers, of the sector of anesthesiology. Job-seekers are assured of finding the right assignments and likewise, employers also can be sure of getting in touch with competent candidates. The precise URL to be accessed is: http://www.anescareer.com/.
Few good books
The following are few good books about anesthesiology, and which are of great help to aspirants seeking success in the avenue (of anesthesiology):
1) “Basics of Anesthesia, 6th Edition” edited by Ronald D. Miller and Manuel Pardo: As suggested by the title, this book provides a detailed overview of anesthesiology where, all the basics are covered. As a matter of fact, this book has obtained recognition as being amongst the best ones of its kind- a book focusing on basics. This book is a fully updated one where, all the concerned latest developments have been taken into consideration.
2) “Anesthesiologist’s Manual of Surgical Procedures” by Richard A. Jaffe: In this book, explanation for various surgical procedures is given from the perspectives of the surgeons as well as anesthesiologists. Through guidance is available about the various key decisions that have to be taken during surgical procedures. Well over forty surgical procedures are covered in this book.
3) “Clinical Anesthesiology, Fourth Edition” by G. Morgan, Maged Mikhail and Michael Murray: This book encompasses all the crucial factors that are related to proper care of patients, in terms of anesthesia management. Each and every chapter includes figures, case discussions, tables, etc, making sure that the points are conveyed with utmost clarity.
4) “Foundations of Anesthesia, Second Edition”: In this book, 118 globally renowned experts provide explanations on the relevance of clinical science in anesthesiology. Thorough coverage has been provided on aspects such as physiology, pharmacology and cell biology, among others.
The following link leads to a video clipping, in which, there is an overview of career in anesthesiology
The below-present link has a video clip where, points on anesthesiologist career profile have been covered.
The ensuing URL includes a video where, an anesthesiologist speaks about their profession.
In this video, some basic points about anesthesia have been emphasized upon.