Pediatricians constitute an important part of the society, for they provide medical care to children. The job of a pediatrician involves interaction with patients who are of low age. Hence, it is of utmost significance that they act as per the interests of both the patients and also their parents/guardians. For this, it is imperative that a pediatrician is fully knowledgeable about all the related topics. As per the figures of the Labor Department of the US, about 53 percent of pediatricians work in offices of doctors, while around 19 percent of them are rendering services in hospitals. Likewise, it is being estimated that roughly 12 percent of these doctors (pediatricians) are employed on their own.
Keeping in view the key responsibility of the pediatricians, it is very much necessary that basic information related to the avenue, along with details of various resources, is provided. It is this very aspect that would be addressed by this write-up.
Academic requirements for becoming a pediatrician
Aspirants intending to become pediatricians need to run the extra mile for acquiring the required academic qualifications. To begin with, they need to hold a Bachelor’s degree pertaining to science, in disciplines like chemistry and biology. Subsequent to completion of all undergraduate courses, they should be clearing medical school as well as residency related to pediatrics. The duration of study at medical school is four years, while residency is generally of three years. It is only after completion of all this that they can start the process need for getting the license and certificate as a specialist.
Leading pediatric schools in USA
In the United States, there are several highly reputed schools imparting education needed for becoming a pediatrician. The table present below has basic information on few of these schools.
|SNO||SCHOOL||NUMBER OF STUDENTS||LOCATION|
|1||University of Minnesota- Twin Cities||51,140||Minneapolis, Minnesota|
|2||Michigan State University||46,510||East Lansing, Michigan|
|3||University of Wisconsin- Madison||41,620||Madison, Wisconsin|
|4||University of Washington- Seattle Campus||39,675||Seattle, Washington|
|5||University of California- Los Angeles||38,220||Los Angeles, California|
|6||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||28,567||Chapel Hill, North Carolina|
|7||University of Pittsburgh- Pittsburgh Campus||27,562||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
|8||Harvard University||26,496||Cambridge, Massachusetts|
|9||University of Colorado||21,903||Denver, Colorado|
|10||University of Vermont||12,800||Burlington, Vermont|
|11||University of Rochester||9,735||Rochester, New York|
|12||University of Nebraska Medical Center||3,194||Omaha, Nebraska|
|13||University of California- San Francisco||2,998||San Francisco, California|
|14||Oregon Health and Science University||2,424||Portland, Oregon|
|15||Baylor College of Medicine||1,385||Houston, Texas|
Some good websites
There are now several websites on the Worldwide Web providing exhaustive details on various vital issues pertaining to the realm of pediatrics. This particular section of the write-up would be focusing on few of those.
1) Portal of American Academy of Pediatrics: Accessing this portal, http://www.pedjobs.org/, is an excellent choice for all those who are searching for jobs in pediatrics. Here, even employers are enabled to provide details about the job openings at their respective places. In light of all that, it can safely be stated that visiting this site is almost a sure shot way of finding the right job. In addition, aspirants can also be assured of being provided with right career guidance.
2) PEDcareer.com: This is another good portal having information on pediatric jobs. The portal makes sure that both the employers and the job applicants get in touch with each other, and this further enhances the chances that a candidate ends up with the appropriate job. Here, apart from the pediatricians, even the pediatric nurses, PNPs and pediatric physician assistants are assisted in getting employment. This is the exact URL to be accessed for reaching this Web-based location: http://www.pedcareer.com/.
3) Site of American Pediatric Society: This website of American Pediatric Society is an excellent source of information and knowledge for everyone aspiring for a successful career in pediatrics. The thorough guidance that is provided here surely makes an aspirant to be having more clarity about the steps to be initiated. Also, the recruiters and employers are enabled to advertise about their jobs. This location of the Worldwide Web has news that is constantly updated, not to mention the various links like regional societies, student research and philanthropy initiatives, etc. The following is the precise URL to be clicked: https://www.aps-spr.org/home.asp.
4) Pediatrics Schools.com: This portal gives comprehensive information of the leading pediatric schools of the United States. By accessing the link http://www.pediatricsschools.com/top_school_rankings/index.html, one reaches the place where a list of schools is present. Here, just by clicking on a school, one would be guided to a page where key details (about the school) are available.
5) Online location of About.com: The online location of About.com, http://pediatrics.about.com/od/pediatriccareers/Careers_in_Pediatrics_for_Medical_Students.htm, includes crucial information related to career in pediatrics. For an aspirant seeking career guidance in the avenue (pediatrics), visiting this location signifies as being an excellent choice. Salient aspects related to pediatric training programs, pediatric employment network, etc, are encompassed by this site.
Some good books
There are several good books that are of great help to pediatricians as well as students endeavoring to have a career in pediatrics. It would now be indeed worthwhile in briefly elaborating on few of the books.
1) “Year Book of Pediatrics” by James A. Stockman: This book contains key information about several latest developments in the realm of pediatrics, and which has been taken from several articles. Pediatricians would immensely benefit by all these details, in the sense that, they (details) can be applied in the professional practice. These are some of the important topics covered by the book: child development, infectious diseases & immunology and, neurology & psychiatry, to name a few.
2) “Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 19th Edition” by By Robert M. Kliegman, MD, Bonita M.D. Stanton, MD, Joseph St. Geme, Nina Schor, MD, PhD and Richard E. Behrman, MD: This book is rated as being a leading resource of pediatrics, for about the past 75 years. This updated edition encompasses latest information from the avenues of neurology, genetics, infectious disease and sexual identity, etc. There is no doubt in maintaining that this book is of great value to pediatricians, for providing quality healthcare.
3) “Progress in Pediatric Cardiology”: This journal, which is referred to in several countries across the Globe, has crucial details about cardiovascular diseases seen in children.
4) “Netter’s Pediatrics” edited by Todd Florin and Stephen Ludwig: This book is inclusive of well over 500 images that serve as guides for diagnosing and managing common bodily conditions of children. The book covers key topics such as allergy, nutrition, heart disease and cancer, to cite a few. Apart from assisting the medical staff, this book also provides educative information to the patients.
The link mentioned below leads to a video clipping, in which, key aspects of a pediatrician’s work have been covered.
The below-mentioned link has a video where, there is an overview of career in pediatrics.
This video clipping has the answer for the all-important question “How to become a pediatrician?”
The topic “Pediatrics career in USA- Resources” is a very vast one, and it is difficult to cover all its points in a brief write-up such as this one. Yet, a sincere attempt has been made to include the highly vital aspects of the subject.