Health administration is a complex field, in which the general population doesn’t have a firm understanding of. In addition, there are constant changes in certain governing regulations, that even health administrators have a tough time staying informed. However, health administration is a very vital component of all medical settings, ranging from hospitals, nursing homes, hospices, etc. Health Administrators should be highly knowledgable, in order to be qualified to run these institutions in an efficient manner.
Healthcare Administration- Education Options
In order to become a Healthcare Administrator, a certain degree of education is required. While employees in the Health Care Administration field can work with a basic Associates Degree, they are encouraged to complete their Master’s Degree. If you want to have a promising career with a lucrative salary, you should consider getting your Masters Degree. The graduate programs associated with Health Administration are listed below.
1) Masters in Health Administration Programs (MHA)
2) Masters in Health Services Administration Programs (MHSA)
3) Masters in Health Care Administration Programs (MHA)
4) Masters of Business Administration (MBA) in Health Care
5) Masters in Public Health Programs (MPH)
Healthcare Administration career- Masters Degree and Bachelor’s degree
For a person applying for a managerial position in the department of health administration, having a Master’s Degree in the discipline is a basic pre-requisite. However, several entry level jobs in the field only require a Bachelor’s degree. In addition, prior work experience serves as an advantage, as well.
Leading academic institutions
Before obtaining a master’s degree in the Health Administration field, you have to obtain your Bachelor’s Degree first. The following schools have been deemed leading institutions of the United States, offering different academic courses in health administration:
1. The University of California Berkeley School of Public Health is one of the top programs. The school has an excellent reputation for it’s research facilities as well as its graduate school. UC Berkley focuses on the interaction of environmental, biological, and behavioral aspects of health.
2. The University of Washington School of Public health is another school that offers options for people who want to study Health Administration. Students usually enroll at the school in Seattle Washington to learn leadership skills compounded with conceptual and technical tactics in which they can apply to their career.
3. Sullivan University: This is the biggest university of Kentucky, from the private sector, offering both graduate and under graduate degrees in health administration. Both these courses can be done either online or at the campus.
4. New York University: The New York University has a solid reputation based on its Health Policy and Management Program. This program is aimed at teaching students the necessary skills and knowledge that is required in the health administration field.
5. Boston University: Boston College’s Sargent College offers a range of programs for students who are driven by the objective of making it big in the sector of health administration.
6. University of Iowa: The University of Iowa’s College of Public Health offers a program to obtain a Master’s Degree in Health Administration. It is also is an accredited institution of CAHME.
Along with all these, the healthcare administration courses offered at University of Michigan, John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, University of Pennsylvania and Ohio State University have reputable programs for healthcare Administration.
Health Administration Books
There are also several books that provide in-depth knowledge about the health administration sector. These books can help perspective and current health administrators, alike.
1) “Health care Management: Organization Design & Behavior” by Arnold D. Kaluzny and Stephen M. Shortell: This book is designed for health professionals and those in healthcare administration. It explains organizational thinking and management techniques and also includes in-depth contemporary research. It is considered an “invaluable resource” for those in the field.
2) “Delivering Health care in America: A Systems Approach” by Douglas A. Singh and Leiyu Shi: In the US, it is now more relevant than ever that there are updated resources for health administrators. It is usually used as a text book for undergraduate students. The book explains the various components of the health care system, in the United States.
3) “Ethics in Health Administration: A Practical Approach for Decision Makers” by Eileen E. Morrison: This book explains ethical dilemmas and challenges that health administrators often deal with. This book also has several case studies, which provides clarity to the readers. The book also covers aspects of future workforce, patient-centric care and culture of compassion, among other topics.
4) “Introduction to health care management” by Sharon Bell Buchbinder: This book focuses on various health administration settings. For example, differences among nursing homes, hospitals and clinics, are explained in the context of a health administrator. The book also provides basic information about things like cost management, ethics, marketing, strategic planning and information technology..
These are just a few of a large assortment of books on heath administration. The table below includes basic details of some more books on the subject.
Title of Book
Name of Author/s
Accountable Care Organizations: Your Guide to Strategy, Design and Implementation
Mike Nugent, Marc A. Bard
Achieving Safe and Reliable Healthcare: Strategies and Solutions
Michael D. Leonard, Allan Frankel, Terri Simmonds
Careers in Healthcare Management: How to Find Your Path and Follow it
Cynthia Carter Haddock, Robert A. McLean, Robert C. Chapman
Decision Analysis for Healthcare Managers
Farrokh Alemi, David H. Gustafson
Essentials of Strategic Planning in Healthcare
Jeffrey P. Harrison
Fundamentals of Healthcare Finance
Louis C. Gapenski
As a matter of fact, you can go directly to http://www.ache.org/pubs/alphabet.cfm to find additional information about several books that are pertinent to people employed in the health administration field.
Health administration websites
There are several websites that provide information about the health administration sector, in the United States:
1) Website of US Department of Health and Human Services: The website http://www.hrsa.gov/index.html has up-to-date information on several health related topics. Vital details related to data & statistics, public health and health professions workforce, etc, are available here.
2) Portal of AAHAM (American Association of Health Administrative Management: AAHAM is propelled by its primary objective of providing services related to certification, education and networking, etc, to health administration professionals. The website, http://www.aaham.org/, contains all the related details, along with the latest news in the health administration field.
3) Online location of AUPHA (Association of University Programs in Health Administration): For students who are want to know about educational resources in the field, along with related career prospects in health administration, http://www.aupha.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=335 is a helpful resource. The AUPHA link gives students a better perspective on courses, career opportunities, expected earnings, among a range of other topics.
4) HealthCarePathway.com: When it comes to having an understanding of the exact job profile of health administrator, academic courses, career prospects, etc. By going to, http://healthcare/Health-Care-Careers/Health-Care-Administrator.html,one can find extensive information about program offerings in several college and university campuses and other settings..
5) Healthcaresalaryonline.com: This is a good source of information, including thorough details related to the diverse aspects of the health administration. It provides general news on the industry and helpful tips for professionals.
6) Healthcarebuilder.com: Similar to the site mentioned above, healthcarebuilder.com is source for health administration information. It breaks down career and educational options for those interested in becoming Healthcare Administrators. It also explains the tasks associated with jobs in the sector. Additional information can be found at: http://www.healthcarebuilder.com/health_care_administrator.htm.
There are also a number of Health Administration related videos that are insightful.
Some of these videos can be found on site sites listed below:
1) The video below (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2uOlirtdg0 )covers tasks and job details of a Health Administrator.
2) You can also see a one on one interview with a professional in the field at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pFdBGDNykU
3) The video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucWFjz9Cfn4 is also a solid resource, including other details about health administration.
4) The video located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgMeLQaOfpE also covers several topics about the health administration, as a career path.
There are a variety of useful Health Administration Resources right at your finger tips. Since the field is so broad, it is important to find relevant information regarding individual sectors within Health Administration. Using the resources above can help anyone who is currently in the Health Administration field, or pursuing it as a potential career.